Regional Training Events
LAND USE 101 – TRAINING FOR APPOINTED AND ELECTED OFFICIALS IN UTAH
Come one, Come all!
The Land Use Academy of Utah is hosting an introductory training on land use in Utah for local government officials. The training will be broadcast live from the USU facility in Salt Lake City to other extension sites throughout the state in which participants can interact in real time with the presenters. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to learn from and interact with Utah’s land use experts in your neck of the woods!
Sponsors: The Utah Chapter of American Planning Association, Office of the Private Property Rights Ombudsman, Utah Counties Indemnity Pool, Utah League of Cities and Towns, and Utah State University.
Who: Counties, cities, and towns. Council members, planning commissioners, members of the appeal authority and staff. Generally, any person who deals with land use issues in local government. This is an interactive live broadcast – come, engage, ask questions, and learn all you need to know about land use in Utah!
When: Saturday August 27, 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
University State University Broadcast Site (5th floor)
Granite School District
2500 S. State St.
Salt Lake City UT 84115
Broadcast to: USU Broadcast locations throughout the state:
- Beaver: 50 E 100 N, Beaver, UT 84713
- Bicknell: 94 W SR 24, Bicknell, UT 84715
- Logan: USU Distance Ed. Building, 5100 Old Main Hill, Logan, UT 84321
- Nephi: 346 E 600 N, Nephi, UT 84648
- Price: 451 East 400 North, Price, Utah 84501
- St. George: Woodward Building, 50 W Tabernacle St., George, UT 84770
- Tooele: 1021 W Vine Street, Tooele, UT 84074
- Vernal: 320 N Aggie Blvd (2000 W), Vernal, UT 84078
Costs: $10 registration fee
Land Use 101 Agenda:
Topics covered in this basic training session will include:
- Statutory Powers and Duties of the Land Use Authority and Appeal Authority (Meg Ryan, ULCT)
- Review of Land use planning tools, general plan and ordinances (John Janson, Utah APA)
- General overview of meeting procedures and required public hearings and notice (Wilf Sommerkorn, Salt Lake County)
- How to make a Decision -The Legal Framework (Brent Bateman via video, State Ombudsman)
- Conditional Use Permits (Jodi Hoffman, ULCT)
- Open Meetings Training/ State Ethics Review (David Church, ULCT)
South Ogden: Land Use Planning 101
Date: May 26, 2016
Time: 6:00-7:30 pm
Place: South Ogden City Corporation
3950 Adams Ave South Ogden, UT 84403
Cost: Free Sponsor: Utah League of Cities and Towns
Trainer: Megan Ryan, ULCT, Land Use Planning Consultant
More information here
Who should attend? City/town council members, planning commissioners, members of the appeal authority and staff. Generally, any person who deals with land use issues in your municipality. Specialized training is available for Appeal Authorities in a separate 2 hour training.