Regional Training Events
LAND USE 101 – TRAINING FOR APPOINTED AND ELECTED OFFICIALS IN UTAH
Come one, Come all!
Keep your calendar open for Saturday February 23rd because we are coming to your neighborhood for our LUAU 101 Training. This is a FREE training that will be broadcast to the following sites. Don’t worry if you cannot attend this training, we will be offering more throughout the year.
USU Taylorsville Campus
920 West Levoy Drive
Taylorsville, UT 84123
• St. George
Topics covered in this basic training session will include:
9:00 AM-11:15 AM:
1. Statutory Powers and Duties of the Land Use Authority and Appeal Authority (Meg
2. Review of Land Use Planning Tools, General Plan, and Ordinances (Steve Pastorik,
West Valley City, Assistant Community Development Director)
4. How to make a Land Use Decision: The Legal Framework (Brent Bateman via video,
5. General Overview of Meeting Procedures and Required Public Hearings and Notice
(Wilf Sommerkorn, Salt Lake County)
6. Conditional Use Permits (Wilf Sommerkorn, Salt Lake County)
7. Rules and Procedures/ State Ethics Review (Johnnie Miller, UCIP)
Upcoming Training Dates:
• March 30th
• May 18th
• June 8th
• August 24th
• November 2nd
The Land Use Academy of Utah is hosting an introductory training on land use in Utah for local government officials. The training will be broadcast live from the USU facility in Salt Lake City to other extension sites throughout the state in which participants can interact in real time with the presenters. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to learn from and interact with Utah’s land use experts in your neck of the woods!
Sponsors: The Utah Chapter of American Planning Association, Office of the Private Property Rights Ombudsman, Utah Counties Indemnity Pool, Utah League of Cities and Towns, and Utah State University.
Who: Counties, cities, and towns. Council members, planning commissioners, members of the appeal authority and staff. Generally, any person who deals with land use issues in local government. This is an interactive live broadcast – come, engage, ask questions, and learn all you need to know about land use in Utah!