Regional Training Events
LAND USE 101 – TRAINING FOR APPOINTED AND ELECTED OFFICIALS IN UTAH
Come one, Come all!
The Land Use Academy of Utah is hosting an introductory training on land use in Utah for local government officials. The training will be broadcast live from the USU facility in Salt Lake City to other extension sites throughout the state in which participants can interact in real time with the presenters. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to learn from and interact with Utah’s land use experts in your neck of the woods!
Sponsors: The Utah Chapter of American Planning Association, Office of the Private Property Rights Ombudsman, Utah Counties Indemnity Pool, Utah League of Cities and Towns, and Utah State University.
Who: Counties, cities, and towns. Council members, planning commissioners, members of the appeal authority and staff. Generally, any person who deals with land use issues in local government. This is an interactive live broadcast – come, engage, ask questions, and learn all you need to know about land use in Utah!
- University State University Broadcast Site
Granite School District, Bldg B (Room 525)
2500 S. State St.
Salt Lake City UT 84115
- Tooele: 1021 W Vine Street, Tooele, UT 84074
- Kaysville: 80 E. Sego Lily Drive Kaysville, UT 84037 Room number: 109
- St. George: 75 West Tabernacle Street Woodward Building Room 101, St. George, UT 84770
- Logan: USU Distance Education Building, 5100 Old Main Hill Logan UT 84321
- Beaver: 50 E 100 N. Beaver, UT 84713
- Ephraim 325 W 100 N Room E Ephraim, UT 84627
Costs: $10 registration fee
Land Use 101 Agenda:
Topics covered in this basic training session will include:
9:00 AM-11:15 AM:
1. Statutory Powers and Duties of the Land Use Authority and Appeal Authority (Meg Ryan, ULCT)
2. Review of Land Use Planning Tools, General Plan, and Ordinances (John Jansen, Utah APA)
3. Subdivision Processes: Chris Gamvroulas, Ivory Development
4. How to make a Land Use Decision: The Legal Framework (Brent Bateman via video, State Ombudsman)
5. General Overview of Meeting Procedures and Required Public Hearings and Notice (Wilf Sommerkorn, Salt Lake County)
6. Conditional Use Permits TBD
7. Open Meetings Training/ State Ethics Review (Meg Ryan, ULCT)