ULCT Youth Essay Contest
Encourage 4th and 7th grade students in your community to participate in the 2017-18 essay contest! See the following forms for important information about this year’s contest.
The Utah League of Cities and Towns is pleased to announce the winners for the 2016-17 essay contest “Why I Like My Community.”
Each year the League invites all Utah students from 4th and 7th grade to write an essay about the attributes of their respective communities and participate in the contest. As these students have spent the year studying state history as part of the social studies curriculum, it’s a wonderful opportunity for them to evaluate the things they value about the city or town in which they reside. Teachers from every school then select one essay per class for submission to the contest. After a team professional educators reads all submissions, three winning essays are selected from each grade.
The winners are as follows:
- First Prize: Benjamin Sorenson, Gunnison Valley Middle School, Gunnison
- Second Prize: Noelle Condie, Gunnison Valley Middle School, Gunnison
- Maria Hilton, Canyon View Jr. High, Orem
- First Prize: Fred Philpot, Muir Elementary, Bountiful
- Second Prize: Sophie Arnold, Highland Elementary, Highland
- Third Prize: Tanner Richardson, Reading Elementary (Centerville), Farmington
Both the students and their respective schools have been awarded the following cash prizes:
- First Prize: Student $100 School $1,000
- Second Prize: Student $75 School $750
- Third Prize: Student $50 School $500
The 2017 ULCT “Why I Like My Community” essay contest is made possible through a contribution from Maverik, a sponsor of the Utah League of Cities and Towns. Maverik’s commitment to the community and desire to acknowledge the talented youth living in our cities and towns makes it possible to provide a much-needed financial contribution to our local schools.
7th Grade Winners
4th Grade Winners
We encourage you to share the “hometown pride” held by members of your community by inviting principals, teachers and students in your to participate in the 2018 ULCT Essay contest.